Sunday, February 08, 2004

At least they played the keyboards and styled hair better than the "Flock of Seagulls" guy.

The barbershop around the corner from my house has an all-black staff and clientelle; it's a little like the one in the Ice Cube movie, except it's a little more Caribbean, they play cricket outside in the summertime, and Cedric the Entertainer doesn't work there. Ever since I realized that the jars of Barbicide in the other nearby barbershop are less for disinfecting and more for decoration, however, I've become the token white customer at the Caribbean barbershop.

Usually, someone there will be playing a guitar, but when I popped by yesterday for a trim, somebody actually had an electric keyboard set up and was noodling around, playing "Moonlight Sonata". After a while, though, he slipped into a different piece of music. I sat there, the only white face in the entire place, trying to figure it out.

And then I suddenly realized it was "A Whiter Shade of Pale" by Procol Harum.

I'm not sure if it was specifically directed at me, but if so, it was a pretty subtle and witty jab and the first time I can recall ever being made fun of in song.

Listed on BlogShares