Friday, September 12, 2003

More dead

Who would have thought that the Pope would ever outlive John Ritter? (I initially wrote "Who would have thought that the Pope would ever outlaw John Ritter?" which seems marginally more probable.) The Three's Company star died late last night, presumably of injuries incurred from tripping over a couch. I've been meaning to write an article for a while about Cockney rhyming slang that didn't make it into popular usage, in which a "John Ritter" was to have been the slang for "apple fritter." So, in memory of the man, treat yourself to an apple fritter today.

Asked for comment, Raine Maida of Our Lady Peace stated, "I'm thinking, why-ee-ii-ee-ii / is Hooperman dead?"

Also, the Man in Black has finally met the other man in black. (Implausibly, Cash outlived Ritter.) That's probably a good thing, what with him being really sick and with his wife dying just a short time ago. Two Highwaymen down, two to go. I'll let Johnny and friends play you out:

I fly a starship across the universe divide
and when I reach the other side
I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can
Perhaps I may become a highwayman again
or I may simply be a single drop of rain

But I will remain
and I'll be back again ... and again ... and again ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares